The word from the Panjiva research team: we saw solid seasonal growth in global trade activity in May. Specifically, the number of waterborne shipments coming into the U.S. experienced an 8% month-over-month increase from April to May.
The number of global manufacturers shipping to the U.S. was up 6% from April to May. This aligns with last year’s robust 9% increase, 2009’s +2%, and 2008’s +3%.
- The percentage of significant manufacturers on the Panjiva Watch List continued its gradual increase from 19% to 20%.
- The percentage of significant buyers having done business with a Panjiva Watch List supplier in the preceding three months also experienced an increase from 26% to 27%.
- Manufacturers that have suffered a 50% or greater decline in volume shipped to American customers in the most recent three month period, versus the same period a year ago, are on the Panjiva Watch List.
- “Significant manufacturers” are companies that have sent 10 or more shipments to American customers within the last year. As of the end of May, there were 94,302 significant manufacturers.
- “Significant buyers” are U.S. companies that have received 10 or more shipments from overseas manufacturers within the last year. As of the end of May, there were 81,390 significant buyers.