The latest Quarterly Trendspotting Report is now available! The report contains a quantitative analysis of the macro trends shaping global trade during Q3. This report draws on Trendspotting, our intelligence tool which helps sourcing executives figure out which geographies are trending “hot” for the products they seek across the globe.
The report provides a clear view of how some of the most rapidly changing product categories performed relative to the same quarter one year prior. Interestingly (and on two very different notes):
- Toy imports to the U.S. are down
- Guided missile exports from the U.S. are down
- Trade with NAFTA countries is up
- Trade with Libya and Egypt is down
The word from the Panjiva research team: trade activity was essentially level from September to October. Specifically, the number of waterborne shipments coming into the U.S. experienced a 0.2% month-over-month decrease from September to October. September-to-October changes in previous years were in the same vicinity: -2% in 2010, +3% in 2009, +1% in 2008, and -1% in 2007.
The number of global manufacturers shipping to the U.S. increased a very slight 0.4% from September to October. September-to-October changes in previous years: -2% in 2010, +3% in 2009, +1% in 2008, and +2% in 2007.
- The percentage of significant manufacturers on the Panjiva Watch List increased slightly from 20% to 21%.
- The percentage of significant buyers having done business with a Panjiva Watch List supplier in the preceding three months also increased slightly from 28% to 29%.
- Manufacturers that have suffered a 50% or greater decline in volume shipped to American customers in the most recent three month period, versus the same period a year ago, are on the Panjiva Watch List.
- “Significant manufacturers” are companies that have sent 10 or more shipments to American customers within the last year. As of the end of October, there were 94,842 significant manufacturers.
- “Significant buyers” are U.S. companies that have received 10 or more shipments from overseas manufacturers within the last year. As of the end of October, there were 81,273 significant buyers.